Goodfield, IL- A 9-year-old from Illinois was charged with murder on Tuesday in connection with a fire at a mobile home earlier this year that killed five people, including three children.
State prosecutors charged the child with five counts of first-degree murder, two counts of arson and one count of aggravated arson, accusing the juvenile of intentionally setting the deadly April fire in Goodfield.
The fire's youngest victim was just 1 year old.
It is unknown if there were any connections between the suspect and the victim, however the fire was set with the knowledge that people were inside the home.
"It was a heavy decision," Woodford County State’s Attorney Greg Minger told said. "It’s a tragedy, but at the end of the day it’s charging a very young person with one of the most serious crimes we have."
I just think it needs to be done at this point, for finality," he added. If convicted, the suspect will likely undergo mandatory therapy, psychological evaluation and counseling, according to Minger.
The fire at the Timberline Mobile Home Park in Goodfield claimed the lives of Kathryn Murray, 69; Jason Wall, 34; Rose Alwood, 2; Daemeon Wall, 2; and Ariel Wall, 1. Two others managed to escape.