Roseville, CA- A Northern California man has been arrested on suspicion of killing four people after he showed up at a police station with a body in his car.
Authorities in Mount Shasta say the man walked into the lobby of the police department Monday afternoon and told officers he had killed four people at his apartment in Roseville, more than 200 miles away.
One of the possible victims was in his car, police say. Roseville police went to the suspect’s apartment and found three more.
Police say it appears the man knew the victims and don’t believe there’s any ongoing threat to the community.
The names of the suspect in custody and the victims haven’t been released. No other information available at this time.
Silver Spring, MD- A Montgomery County police officer has died hours after he was found with a gunshot wound atop a Silver Spring, Maryland, parking garage Monday morning.
Officer Thomas J. Bomba’s death at MedStar Washington Hospital Center was announced by interim police Chief Marcus Jones during a brief news conference Monday afternoon.
Bomba’s death is being treated as a homicide, Jones said, and police were “looking at all options in regards to this investigation.”
The 38-year-old officer was wounded just before 8:50 a.m. Monday while on patrol, near the intersection of Ellsworth Drive and Fenton Street in Silver Spring’s downtown shopping and entertainment area. Bomba had called out on his radio about “disorderly subjects” in the parking garage, police spokesman Tom Jordan said. Officers who arrived to assist found him wounded.
But Jones said that police did not have any suspect descriptions, and that there was no immediate threat to public safety. “To say it’s an all hands on deck — that’s an understatement,” Jordan said earlier. Aerial footage from those initial hours after the shooting showed tactical officers searching the garage.
“We continue to investigate this event and will do everything in our power to ascertain what transpired this morning,” Jones said. Bomba was wearing a body camera, Jones added, but it’s unclear if the device was activated or correctly functioning.
Bomba, a father of two, was a 13-year veteran of the department.
Police ask that anyone who witnessed “disorderly behavior” in the area of the shooting — and anyone who had contact with Bomba around then — to call investigators at (301) 279-8000.
Mexico-A group of armed gunmen believed to be part of a powerful drug cartel in Mexico ambushed a police convoy in the western state of Michoacan, killing at least 13 officers and wounding nine.
Some 42 state police officers had gone to the township of Aguililla on Monday to enforce a judicial order when they were met with more than 30 gunmen believed to be from the Jalisco New Generation, one of Mexico’s most powerful cartels at the moment.
Officials said the gunmen opened fire on the police convoy with .50 caliber sniper rifles and AR-15 and AK-47 assault-style rifles.
At least 13 officers were killed, some of their bodies still inside the patrol trucks when the vehicles were set afire.
“No attack on the police will go unpunished, and this was a cowardly, devious attack because they laid an ambush in this area of the road,” Gov. Silvano Aureoles said.
Johnstown, PA-Police issued a warning to parents ahead of Halloween after a large stash of THC-infused candies were confiscated.
Officers in Johnstown, Pa. discovered the THC edibles disguised as Nerds Rope during a search warrant in Stoneycreek Township, Pa.
“During this Halloween, we urge parents to be ever vigilant in checking their children’s candy before allowing them to consume those treats,” the Johnstown Police Department shared on Facebook.
Police said the drug-laced packages look like regular candies and may be hard to differentiate between the two.
Goodfield, IL- A 9-year-old from Illinois was charged with murder on Tuesday in connection with a fire at a mobile home earlier this year that killed five people, including three children.
State prosecutors charged the child with five counts of first-degree murder, two counts of arson and one count of aggravated arson, accusing the juvenile of intentionally setting the deadly April fire in Goodfield.
The fire's youngest victim was just 1 year old.
It is unknown if there were any connections between the suspect and the victim, however the fire was set with the knowledge that people were inside the home.
"It was a heavy decision," Woodford County State’s Attorney Greg Minger told said. "It’s a tragedy, but at the end of the day it’s charging a very young person with one of the most serious crimes we have."
I just think it needs to be done at this point, for finality," he added. If convicted, the suspect will likely undergo mandatory therapy, psychological evaluation and counseling, according to Minger.
The fire at the Timberline Mobile Home Park in Goodfield claimed the lives of Kathryn Murray, 69; Jason Wall, 34; Rose Alwood, 2; Daemeon Wall, 2; and Ariel Wall, 1. Two others managed to escape.
Gainesville, FL- Police say a 20-year-old man beat, raped and threatened his pregnant girlfriend with a knife in hopes of killing the fetus.
Joseph Bernard J. Combs was arrested Friday on charges that include attempted murder, sexual battery aggravated assault and kidnapping. He remains jailed on a $3.5 million bond.
The the woman had been dating Combs for about a year. She is 19 weeks pregnant.
An arrest report says Combs told her, "I can't let you have my son," before dragging her into the living room where he punched and kicked her in the abdomen. He threatened to slit her throat and raped her.
The victim then ran downstairs to try and escape but was caught by Combs and dragged back upstairs, where he repeatedly punched and slapped her in the face.
Combs then pulled out an approximately 4-inch folding knife and held it to the victim's throat. The victim begged for their life, saying "I'll do anything but don't take my life."
"I want you to do it to yourself," Combs responded before ordering the victim to cut their wrists. Combs specified to do it vertically instead of horizontally "for results."
Combs, while holding the knife to the victim's throat, then removed his pants before putting the knife away. Combs then raped the victim.
Police say the woman suffered extensive bruising in the attack on Friday.
A 14-year-old Hamilton student was fatally stabbed, while his mother was with him, outside Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School on Monday, police said. The teen was attacked just before 1:30 p.m. and died shortly after in hospital. Police have three suspects in custody and are searching for two more. One of those in custody is also 14, another is 18.
"When I look at this … it's a complete disregard for human life, which is extremely concerning for people of such a young age," said Det.-Sgt. Steve Bereziuk, in a news conference Monday evening.
Police say the stabbing was captured on video which police are reviewing. The outstanding suspects appear to be in their early teens and one of them is a female.
Police responded around 1:23 p.m. to what was originally described as a "serious assault," and put Winston Churchill and four other area schools under lockdown. Just over two hours later, Hamilton police announced that the student had died.
Alice Smith, who has lived just down the road from the school for the past 14 years, said she was sitting in her front sunroom with her husband on Monday afternoon when five teens came around the corner, with a car following close behind. Smith said it appeared to her the woman in the car was trying to help the boy. "She said she tried to save him, but she just couldn't do it," Smith said. "She was very upset. She couldn't stop crying." Asked whether the victim had been bullied, Bereziuk declined to go into detail, saying only that he was aware of a "relationship" between the teen and those who allegedly attacked him.
The detective also said he believes some of the suspects were students at the school. Police are still working to determine what role each suspect may have played.
The Major Crimes Unit has taken over the investigation. Investigators have not recovered a weapon and are asking residents near the school to carefully search their properties for a knife.
Anyone with cellphone video of the attack is also asked to contact them.
Two days before his wedding, the groom spent the afternoon floating down the Delaware River in eastern Pennsylvania with his wedding party. Groomsmen and bridesmaids passed around beers and shots of vodka as they guided paddle boards and rafts downstream.
When they returned to their hotel on August 30, Daniel J. Carneyâs wife-to-be asked him to walk inside. The 29-year-old Oregon woman had been too drunk to keep her balance on her paddle board, and as Carney walked her down the hallway, she struggled to stay upright.
Carney pulled the woman into the menâs locker room. Police say he then led the woman to the showers, where he forcibly grabbed her, bit her and removed her bikini bottoms.
On Thursday, Carney, 28, of Stroudsburg, PA, was charged with felony sexual assault. Pennsylvania State Police say it used security footage, text messages, and intercepted a phone call to support the bridemaidâs allegation that she had been sexually assaulted while âblackoutâ drunk.
The victim told police she woke up briefly on the floor of the locker room to a sharp pain as Carney allegedly bit her and pawed at her body. She said she passed out again, only to wake up minutes later to realize her bikini bottoms had been removed and Carney was on top of her.
Twenty minutes later, police say, his fiancee burst into the menâs showers. The bridesmaid told police her friend immediately started screaming at Carney. The bride followed him into the parking lot and the two got into a physical fight, according to court records.
The next morning, Carney called the bridesmaid to apologize but claimed he didnât know what they had done the night before, according to the police report. On the morning of the wedding, he texted again to ask the woman to put on a good face for the wedding and to pressure her to take the morning after pill to prevent a pregnancy.
âI wanted to apologize again for everything,â he wrote in a lengthy message, according to the probable cause affidavit. âCan we please just be as happy as possible for [the bride] today? Mistakes are behind us and I just need total closure before I do this [that is] why Iâm sending this. Iâm as happy as ever to marry [the bride] and I know this is terrible as well but my d--- was out in the shower. We never did do it but would you consider taking plan b to make damn certain just in case? There is almost no chance but still. Please tell me yes Iâm begging you."
The next morning, she went and reported the incident to police. Police reviewed surveillance footage. âThe footage showed the victim and the accused walking down the hallway, with the victim extremely unsteady on her feet and swaying,â state trooper Justin Leri wrote in a police report. âJust before the doorway, the accused is observed turning around and pulling the victim into the locker room.â
Police then intercepted a call between Carney and the bridesmaid, during which he claimed they did not have âactual sex,â but ârepeatedly told her he was sorry, specifically repeating that it was all his fault.â He also admitted to leading the woman into the locker room during the phone call.
Prosecutors charged Carney with simple assault, indecent assault and involuntary deviate sexual intercourse of an unconscious person.
Milwaukee-A judge has sentenced Jordan Fricke to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the shooting death of Milwaukee Police Officer Matthew Rittner.
In July, a jury convicted Fricke of first-degree intentional homicide for the February shooting.
The courtroom was filled Thursday morning with friends and family members of Rittner and Fricke; several read impact statements.
Rittner’s widow, Caroline Rittner, told the court the past eight months of her life have been hell. Caroline found out she was pregnant with her second child, who she recently gave birth to, days after Rittner was killed. The Rittners also have a 4-year-old son.
Fricke’s attorney asked the judge that Fricke have the chance at getting out of prison decades down the line, while his girlfriend told the court he was loving and funny.
She was with him the day of the fatal shooting and said Fricke acted in self defense.
Fricke also addressed the judge, saying he made a horrible mistake and apologized to Rittner’s family, the police department and the community. Fricke said if he wished he could trade places with Rittner.
In handing down his sentence, the judge told Fricke he knew his AK-47 would cause certain death.
New York- Police have charged a man with killing four homeless men in Chinatown this weekend.
Randy Santos, 24-years-old has been charged with four counts of murder, and one count of attempted murder. Santos, who is also homeless, was arrested yesterday shortly after four men were discovered dead on various streets of Chinatown early in the morning.
Investigators say the victims were sleeping on the street, vulnerable and unsuspecting.
Santos beat their heads repeatedly with a pipe, with so much force that four of them died at the scene. A fifth victim was also severely hurt.
"Officers immediately began canvassing the area for the suspect,” said Assistant Chief Stephen Hughes at a press conference Saturday. “At Mulberry Street and Canal Street, a male fitting description was observed carrying the metal object. The officers placed that male in custody and recovered the metal object without further incident.”
Police say the incident occurred just after 1:30 a.m. in the morning. The NYPD responded to a 911 call, and found the dead bodies scattered, some on East Broadway and the others on Bowery Street.
The surviving victim was able to talk to police before he was rushed to Downtown Medical Center. He's in critical condition fighting for his life. Police say the victims of the surprise attack were randomly targeted and bludgeoned to death for no reason. People in the area say they're stunned by the violent rampage.
"That's totally unlike anything I've ever seen in this neighbor,” said one local. “I've been here for a while. I've never seen any violence at all."
People in the area say there are often large groups of homeless people sleeping outside. And that they've seen a few fights here.
"It's not one on two when you come here. If you come, especially in the summer, you see 20, 30 people over here, all young kids,” said one local. But they’ve never anything as horrifying as this.