LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) – An ex-convict plead not guilty Wednesday to attempted murder and other charges in connection with the earlier this month in Compton.
Deonte Lee Murray, 36, pleaded not guilty to two counts each of
attempted murder of a peace officer and possession of a firearm by a felon in connection with the Sept. 12 attack on the deputies, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.
He was previously charged Sept. 17 with one felony count each of
carjacking, second-degree robbery and assault with a semi-automatic firearm involving a Sept. 1 carjacking in Compton, in which he allegedly shot a man in the leg with a high-powered rifle and stole his black Mercedes-Benz. He pleaded not guilty to those charges and
has remained behind bars since his Sept. 15 arrest.
Two additional charges stemming from the earlier crime — attempted
murder and possession of a firearm by a felon — have since been added, prosecutors said.
Murray’s bail was increased from just over $1 million to $6.15 million as a result of the new charges.
He is due back in court Nov. 17.
Sheriff Alex Villanueva and L.A. County District Attorney Jackie Lacey announced the arrest of Murray at a news conference Wednesday morning at LASD headquarters in downtown L.A.
Murray was arrested on Sept. 15, three days after the deputies were shot, but in connection with an unrelated carjacking and shooting which had occurred in Compton on Sept. 1, Lacey said. Forensic evidence later linked him to the shooting of the two deputies.
A ghost gun used in the shooting of the deputies was recovered by investigators, sheriff’s Capt. Kent Wegener told reporters.
Furthermore, Murray fled the scene of the deputies’ shooting in a black Mercedes Benz sedan, the same vehicle which Murray had carjacked on Sept. 1, Wegener revealed.